Questions and Answers
- Q: How is the Kodak Professional8670 PS thermal printer
different from the Kodak Digital Science 8650 PS thermal printer?
- A: The Kodak Professional8670 PS thermal printer has the same features
as the Kodak Digital Science 8650 PS thermal printer, plus the following
- Automatic Emulation Detection - The 8670 PS automatically
recognizes print jobs as Adobe PostScript or Raster and processes
- Speed - The 8670 PS has four times the processing
speed of the 8650 PS. The 8670 PS controller includes a MIPS 133MHz
4640 RISC microprocessor.
- Raster Mode - The 8670 PS includes 14 pre-formatted
packages, and color space conversion including, RGB=>CMYK, RGB=>Grayscale,
- Adobe Postcript - The 8670 PS includes Adobe
PostScript 3 including 136 newly embedded fonts, optimized postscript
interpretation, and support for smooth shading.
- Communications - Standard interfaces include
SCSI and IEEE-1284 parallel. New optional 10 / 100 Base-T Ethernet
card supports TCP / IP, IPX / SPX, EtherTalk, Net/Bios/SMB, NetBEUI
and DLC / LLC protocols. Field supportable from Xadmin or JetAdmin
- Color Management - Printer-embedded KCMS technology
plus Kodak ProfessionalColorFlow ICC Color Connector application
allows for easier color matching capabilities.
- Q: What is included with the printer?
- A: The Kodak Professional8670 PS thermal printer includes the following:
one paper tray; a SCSI terminator; a CD-ROM with software drivers, .pdf
manuals, and embedded color management along with ClorFlow ICC Color
Connector software. Unless specified the printer ships with an Adjustable
Letter size tray in the US and an A4 Adjustable tray in the rest of
- Q: Will I need to purchase any additional items in order to
use the printer?
- A: A separate order must be placed for media (paper and ribbon) and
cables. Extra paper trays, Ethernet card, and RAM upgrades are available.
- Q: How much memory does the printer come with and can it be
- A: The Kodak Professional8670 PS thermal printer includes 48 MB
of memory. Memory can be extended up to 384 MB using industry standard
SIMMS. The printer uses 72 pin, 70ns (or faster), 4MB, 8MB, 16MB, 32
MB or 64MB SIMMs.
- Q: If I add the full 384 MB of memory to the Kodak Professional
8670 PS thermal printer, will my prints come out faster?
- A: Adding more memory will improve your throughput on large or multiple
image jobs due to the added processing capability. The engine print
time itself will not change.
- Q: Can I convert a Kodak Digital Science 8600 or 8650 printer
into an 8670 PS printer?
- A: No. There is not a retrofit to convert any of Kodak's older models
to an 8670 PS. The 8670 PS includes engine changes as well as an all
new controller including the Adobe PostScript level 3 interpreter.
- Q: I have a surplus of Kodak Digital Science 8650 media (Ektatherm)
in stock. Can I use this media with the Kodak Professional8670 PS thermal
- A: Yes. The Kodak Professional8670 PS uses the same paper and ribbon
as all of the older 8xxxx series printers (8300, 8400, 8600 and ColorEase).
- Q: Does the Kodak Professional8670 PS thermal printer come
with a Printer Maintenance Kit?
- A: Yes. This is the same kit that came with the Kodak Digital Science
8650. The Printer Maintenance Kit includes the newest materials and
procedures for keeping your printer dust free and for cleaning printer
surfaces to ensure that the media transports smoothly through your machine.
The Kodak Printer Maintenance Kit /for Digital Science XLS 8600
and 8600 PS Printers, Kodak CopyPrint Station, and Kodak Digital Enhancement
- A procedure book
- A cloth, "nighttime" cover
- A plastic, protective attachment for the printer's exit chute
- Cleaning pads
- Transport improvement kit (for the internal wheels of the printer)
- Q: What are the available print sizes that the Kodak Professional
8670 PS thermal printer can produce?
- A: The print sizes are as follows: 8.5 x 11, , 8 x 12, 8 x 14, 9.5
x 14, A4, Long A4.
- Q: What is the maximum image area of the Kodak Professional
8670 PS thermal printer?
- A: The maximum image area is 8.5 x 12 inches.
- Q: What is the resolution of the Kodak Professional8670 PS
- A: The resolution is 300 dpi.
- Q: I have paper trays for my Kodak Digital Science 8650 thermal
printer. Can I use them in the new / Kodak Professional8670 PS thermal
- A: Yes. The trays used in the Kodak Digital Science 8650 will fit
into the Kodak Professional8670 PS thermal printer, but you will loose
the added reliability that the new paper trays introduce. The Kodak
Professional8670 PS thermal printer trays will NOT fit into the older
- Q: If I have the Kodak Digital Science 8650 PS thermal printer,
can I just plug in my new Kodak Professional8670 PS thermal printer
to the same cable and print?
- A: Since the Kodak Professional8670 PS thermal printer uses different
driver software, you must install the drivers supplied with your new
printer. You may, however, use your 8650 cables. If you are attached
to a network, then your system administrator must be involved for a
- Q: What is ICC Color Connector?
- A: ICC Color Connector software is a Color Management Application
with Drag'n Drop ease of use that generates "Color Connector Links"
from standard ICC profiles. These .kcc files provide simplified color
management for achieving Print-to-Print, Print-to-Monitor and Print-to-Newsof
- Q: Can I take the Network Interface card from my 8650 printer
and use it in the 8670 PS?
- A: No, the Network Interface Card (NIC) for the 8670 is a PCI bus
card. The NIC for the 8650 is a proprietary bus card. Even though the
two NIC cards are functionally equivalent, they are not compatible across
the two printer platforms.
- Q: What is the warranty on the Kodak Professional8670 PS
- A: The warranty on the Kodak Professional8670 PS thermal printer
is a 1 year mail-in warranty. It includes parts, labor and phone support.
- Q: Are extended service programs available?
- A: Yes. Extended warranties, on-site upgrades and extended phone
support are all available.